Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marriage North of 60

I have always believed that human beings are not designed to pair bond. That being said, when one turns 30, and all of your friends start to pair bond, breed or both, one has a way of setting common sense theories to the side. This is, of course, compounded by the fact that you have 4 same-sex friends, and there are exactly 5 single, straight men left in your community, and you have dated 4 of them already.

It was time. I was sick of dating boys, and I convinced myself that although this one didn't send me over the moon, he treated me like a queen, and goshdarnit, I was going to learn to love him, like Muslims or pioneers.

Of course, the problem with this new, improved theory was primarily that I had more to do than survive and breed. The North is government and I worked for the local government. I had more time on my hands than I could shake a oosuk at. This was generally spent dreaming up flawed theories and shopping on ebay.

My marriage never made it to its third birthday. I have nothing but respect, appreciation and compassion for my former husband. He did, after all, have the balls to marry me, and when it all ended, remain a better friend to me than my own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment