Wednesday, August 11, 2010

on walking dogs

When I get older I will quite likely be a crazy dog lady. I'm not quite at the stage me and my dog dress up in matching outfits, but I am sure that nobody would be surprised if it came to that.

The North is also the land of the dog, most notably the muttsky (husky cross). For hundreds of years the people of the North have used dogs for transportation, companionship, and, if need be, dinner. When

It is perhaps also not surprising that I strongly believe that the best first date activity is the dog walk. Even if the date is a complete flop, you and Nanuk have got a bit of exercise. If the conversation is awkward, you can always comment on Nanuk's antics, or the all-round perfection of the canine species, Nanuk being a particularly preeminent specimen. Moreover, if your date lets Nanuk lick his face, and/or hump his leg, you know that you have got a winner. Finally, there is no need for sustained eye contact, as you have to look where you are going, well I do anyway.

My first date with McPokey was, of course, a dog walk. I have yet to discern why his adorable yellow lab, Jasper, had such a crush on my Nanuk, but poor Nookie got humped a couple of dozen times on that walk (not that he minded). McPokey claimed that darling Jasper was never much for humping. This led me to the secret conclusion that Jasper was acting out McPokey's horniness. The point being that dogs are sometimes more acutely aware of what is going on than we are.

Jasper was one in a million, and I am sad to report that he died about 6 months later. Actually he fell ill while I was taking care of him. This has earned me the reputation of being the doggie grim reaper. I don't see much of McPokey these days. I guess that in the end all we really had to talk about was dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment